Hokitika is a small town in the West Coast region of New Zealand's South Island, 40 kilometres south of Greymouth, and close to the mouth of the Hokitika River. Its urban population is about 3,000.
The feedstocks for the WTE facility will be available from within the actual 100-hectare facility site, which has thousands of tons of timber lash and biomass available.
The outputs from the facility are bio-diesel, green electricity and biochar. This facility will produce not produce greenhouse gases and will satisfy all environmental regulations.
Electricity 1.8MW (43MWh/ day)
Syn-Diesel: 14,000 Litres / day (EN-590 Grade)
Char: 2 tons / day
Bioplant Hokitika Project
Hokitika, South Island, New Zealand
Bioplant Hokitika NZ Limited
Amount of Waste to be Processed
42 tons of mixed biomass and timber slash per day.
The Facility will comprise:
- Pre-treatment equipment designed sort over 60 tons of waste per day.
- 1 x Bioplant 40 ton/day twin furnace pyrolysis modular Hybrid plant.
- 2 x 1.1MW waste heat drive generators.
- Syngas cooling, cleaning and oil refining equipment
- Buildings and site infrastructure including connecting to the electricity grid.
This is equivalent to supplying green power to 1,500 homes and saving over 25,000 tons per year of GHG emissions from reduced landfill and fossil fuel production. This is equivalent to taking in excess 5,000 cars off the road and it supports "Kaitiakitanga" (New Zealand Iwe guardianship of the land).
See Bioplant website CSR activities.